John Sculley gave the opening keynote at 7x24 Exchange here at Boca Raton on June 2, 2014.
Let’s start with the end. John discusses the Disruptive Innovation in The Adaptive Organization with these points.
- The best innovators focus on a “noble cause"
- Focus on best possible customer experience
- Disruptive Innovation is non-linear
- Disruptive innovators … see something others don’t …are passionate and relentless that “there has to be a better way"
- Are willing to commoditize their earlier innovations in order to move to the next era of disruption
Let’s go back to some earlier slides. John describes the Noble causes illustrating Bill Gates vision vs. Steve Jobs, and the passion of Steve Jobs focusing on the customer experience
Disruption of non-linear is Kodak going bankrupt hit by the growth of smartphones.
Being able to see things others don’t see are lessons learned.
John then went into companies he has a role in or is an investor.
John is chairman of Pivot Technologies. http://www.pivotac.com/home/default.aspx
An investor in Misfit Wearables. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10405648/John-Sculley-Apple-Misfit-Shine-and-the-future-of-technology.html and Artemis http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/artemis-pcell-offers-personal-cell-every-device-promises-dramatic-lte-capac/2014-02-19
This post is a bit of cheat to get insight. I had a chance to talk to John Sculley at Breakfast. The last time I had talked to John was 20 years in NYC, and we caught up a bit.