It was fun catching up with Chris Crosby in LV and Santa Clara over the past couple of weeks. Chris just posted on the issue of wishing upon a star for maybe these data center conferences would be more interesting.
In doing a quick review of some of the topical fodder that will be discussed at some of the data center industry’s upcoming confabs, I have to say that it looks like we’re stuck in a bit of a rut. Does an over abundance of Power Points expounding on the how it’s “DCiM’s time” and that the Cloud “will change everything” reflect some hidden industry wish that these things will come true? Should we cue Jiminy Cricket?
Chris closes imploring the event staff to change the formats.
While there is little that we can do about the topic’s that speakers will be covering this tradeshow season, I would ask—and I don’t think I’m alone here—that the companies that put on these extravaganzas endeavor to broaden the scope of topics before they implore us to “Join Them” in the one of the nation’s metropolis’s in the future. If I see one more product pitch presentation delivered by someone with the charisma of a newt, I may just lose my lunch. Get out on a limb and say something new. As for DCiM and the Cloud I say look to that Walt Disney classic, Pinnochio, for guidance. After all, after being turned into a donkey and being swallowed by a whale, his wish to become a real boy came true.
But, getting people to change is one of the hardest things in life. Much harder than greening a data center and coming up with new ways to change the industry for a new performance per watt approach.
So instead of asking for change, change yourself. About two years ago I stopped going to AFCOM Data Center World and Uptime Symposium as media and started trying other conferences. I started going to GigaOm Structure as a media attendee and thanks to Barton George he introduced me to Stacey Higginbotham as GigaOm needed a data center analyst. So, I spend time (less than 20%) as an analyst for GigaOm Pro as well as a bunch of other things (the other 80%).
In a month at GigaOm Structure I'll be moderating two panel discussions.
One with following title and presenters
Compute everywhere: the architects behind the change
Chandra Pandey, Vice President, Platform Solutions, BTI Systems
Lane Patterson, CTO, Equinix
How infrastructure can transform business successCynthi Stoddard, SVP & CIO, NetAppDavid Giambruno, SVP and CIO, Revlon
Facebook and the Open Compute Project are hosting their second hardware hackathon with the winners presenting at GigaOM’s Structure conference on June 19. So start thinking about your idea, and go register.
What our attendees are saying