I run an enterprise class home network to provide a good home office network and support my family. For Internet the provider is Comcast Business and with my owned Arris modem SB6141 which is the latest device that was going bad and was replaced with a Motorola MB7220. Main thing I like about the MB7220 besides the fact that it works is it has security features much better than the SB6141. Logging on to the cable modem I was getting codeword errors. My modem was 5 years old so it was possible my modem was failing but before replacing the modem I went through the coax cables for the house. As part of cutting the cord and dropping cable TV set top boxes I had splitters, amplifiers, and filters that were needed to make the Xfinity cable boxes work. Since switching to PlayStation Vue I can now get rid of all that stuff and have a straight connection to the cable modem.
After making these changes, the cable modem was still having errors and continuing to reboot once a day. Luckily I had bought another modem from Amazon and had it delivered, getting another 8x4 cable modem. Swapped the modem out yesterday. Working great. The signal strength on the downstream and upstream look strong and little noise, and no errors! Looking through the cable modem logs everything looks good.
A couple of months before that WiFi went down. Had connections to WiFi. Checking the IP addresses on devices could see 169.x.x.x which means no IP address. The DHCP server was down which runs on the Netgate Pfsense SG-2220 router firewall appliance. It’s been three years, running 24x7. Swapping out another router firewall the WiFi was back up and running. Went into console to talk directly to the hardware and it was definitely the problem. Bought another Netgate appliance, the SG-3100 which is an ARM processor whereas the SG-2220 was an Intel Atom. The ARM processor SG-3100 feels like it has 4X more performance than the SG-2220.
And a couple of months before that my Unifi POE switch that I had in the network went bad. Got some strange network behaviors like provisioned access points being identified as rogue devices. Taking out the Unifi Switch and moving everything over to a Netgear managed POE switch resolved the issue.
So over 6 months I have replaced my cable modem, replaced my router/firewall, and removed a bad Unifi switch. The nice thing is I could troubleshoot the network issues. Identify the problems and replace the gear. The key was to have other gear I could swap in and see if it resolved the issues. In the process of doing this I have been thinking about upgrading the backbone of my home network to optical fiber.
This may seem complicated, but each of these are components of a home network and there are management consoles that can give you information. This information is free. It is your choice whether you want to work with it and use it. Every device and user leaves a trail of their use of the network.